Friday 4 January 2013

The gift of sight

The list of the complications available for a person with diabetes to choose from is certainly a lengthy one.  Like any normal person, I have times when my BGs are an afterthought and the rest of my life takes over.  But for the other 95% of the time I bolus 20 mins before my food, eat meals I know agree with me and exercise - sometimes reluctantly - all with the aim of avoiding complications.



Nevertheless, if complications do happen and I had to choose which I would want least (weirdest. list. ever.), blindness would be right up there. High glucose levels, something every diabetic can struggle with, are the root cause of a great number of eye problems leading to blindess that diabetics can suffer from, including macular oedema.


In 2011, NICE deemed a sight-saving drug called Lucentis 'too expensive' to prescribe to people with diabetes at risk of losing their sight due to Macular Oedema.  However, thanks to the manufacturers dropping their prices, the decision has been re-considered and a review of the guidance has now deemed it favourable. Very NICE indeed.


This drug however, is injected straight into they eye - something you might want to consider if you were planning to take your eyes off your diabetes game for just a minute.


For the full report, click here, and keep up the stirling work, folks.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I could handle having something injected into my eye...I'm even scared of contacts. I guess though if I had to choose to between that and blindness though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm right there with ya. Totally creeps me out to think about getting a needle to the eyeball, but I'd take that over blindness any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, I can't even imagine (nor do I want to try) what that feels like. Eek...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Scott - I know! If that isn't enough motivation to help us on our way, I'm not sure what is.

      Delete