Friday 19 January 2018

Adieu, Animas

We knew it was coming, in all honesty.  When Animas Corp announced in October that their US operations were to close up shop and exit the insulin pump market, the elephant in the room no-one wanted to look directly in the eye was that the UK market operations would most likely follow. There were rumours, there were assumptions, and there was a shed load of speculation. Although insulin pump sales have been strong in the UK a global company like Johnson and Johnson has to look at the bigger picture.  And globally the Vibe pump market wasn't holding up.  As of this week, Animas have confirmed that they are to follow their US counterparts, and cease trading.  

My personal relationship with Animas has been a wonderful one.  I became involved with them by inadvertently inviting myself on their second sports weekend as the official blogger, before I had officially been asked.  They took it well and quietly confirmed I could go, but wen I arrived I was the only person who was noticeably overweight.  Horrified and convinced of the mistake I'd made, I toyed with the idea of slipping out early or feigning illness to avoid the mortifying embarrassment of being surrounded by an alien population of marathon-runners and semi-professional cyclists, but realised I had to do the job I was there to do.  After all, I'd invited myself - I could hardly back out now.  By the end of that weekend I had for the first time as an adult truly understood the power of being shoulder-to-shoulder with my diabetes brethren.

The next year I was invited back (officially, this time) and had used the tools from that weekend to lose almost 3 stone.  I was given the opportunity to share that journey with the attendees in a talk; my way of sharing with any other people there, worried about their weight or about being the odd-one-out, that they were not alone.  We are never truly alone, but somehow the sports weekend really hits that home.  Having a chance to share my struggles with my weight was a milestone moment for me, and it was Animas who gave me the space and platform to do that.

I decided to start using the Vibe when it was released, because as much as I liked my Medtronic and found their customer service superb, I was all kinds of done with kinky (not the fun kind) cannulas, and I wanted to get back in the water.  The Vibe was my partner in crime when I got back in the Cornish waves, and for the first time I realised the value of a waterproof pump.

I started running out of ways to say 'more awesome than awesome' as I was given the chance to return to the sports weekends year after year, so started to compile videos of Sports Weekend posts, because every year they exceed every expectation I could hold.

My Vibe travelled with me down under, and helped me traverse pregnancy, helping my daughter arrive safely in this world, a perfect little soul completely untouched by the constant change and mammoth challenge of a diabetic pregnancy.  Once again, Animas allowed me to share that by giving me the space to do so, because they seemed to 'get' what a scary time pregnancy can be, and that other uneasy wannabe mothers might just need to hear that it will be OK. It will be, by the way.

I'm going to miss them.  I'm going to miss them big.

Any time a medical tech company - particularly a giant like Animas - leaves the market it is a serious loss.  Losing any method of diabetes management (except for that lancing device which had the needle on the OUTSIDE! Because which idiot thought that would help us test more?!), means that people with diabetes have less options, and less options is a step backwards, no matter your taste in pump.

Oh, hell no.


I have enjoyed everything about my time with Animas, from meeting inspirational Heroes, to making lifelong friends at the sports events, to having a place to share my small but nonetheless shareable experiences. 

And I now have a mammoth task on my hands, because while I wasn't watching my pump warranty expired.  It expired a couple of weeks before Animas stopped taking new customers on.  It stopped a month before their formal letter notifying the world they were to stop trading.


I don't have a clue which pump I will try.  I don't even want to think about it right now.  I don't want to accept that my beloved Vibe has days which are numbered. It fucking sucks, if I'm honest.

17 comments:

  1. Love to see the Diabetes Crafts:) Very cool!!! And what a super cutie you have!
    diabetes forum india

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it is great post , Shocking new scientific research uncovered how to treat the root cause of diabetes. Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine have perfected these diabetes treatment methods: In 16 days, patients insulin dosages were reduced by over 57% -A few weeks later, 96% of patients were able to stop ALL diabetes drugs and injections. For more information click here : https://bit.ly/2N61HwF

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. for total cure of different disease and virus.  Email  DR AKHIGBE. on    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or contact his number .+2348142454860      . Treatment with Natural Herbal medicine Cure For : PAINFUL or IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION ,VAGINAL EFFECT IONS.CANCER, VAGINAL DISCHARGE. ITCHING OF PRIVATE PART. BREAST INFECTION. DISCHARGE FROM BREAST. HIV/AIDS, BREAST PAIN & ITCHING. LOWER  ABDOMINAL  PAIN.DIABETES . NO PERIOD OR  or PERIOD SUDDENLY STOP. HERPES,  WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM. PAIN DURING SEX INSIDE THE PELVIC. PAIN DURING URINATION. PELVIC  INFLAMMATORY DISEASE, (PID). DRIPPING OF SPERM FROM THE VAGINAL AS WELL AS LOW SPERM COUNT. ZERO SPERM COUNT. QUICK  EJACULATION.CHRONIC DISEASE, ASTHMA,  PREMATURE EJACULATION. WEAK ELATION. PARKINSON'S DISEASE, DISCHARGE FROM PENIS. STD. EPILEPSY, STAPHYLOCOCCUS + GONORRHEA + SYPHILIS. Pile-HEMORRHOID. WAIST AND BACK PAIN. MALE AND FEMALE   INFERTILITY. Etc.I was diagnosed of Cancer of the lungs for seven month and I spend hell in going to different hospital at difference places seeking for cure but there was no solution. I decided to go through the internet where I saw a testimony of a woman in London,[MARY]. So I contacted him also through his mail. He answer me and we both communicate and he send the herbal medicine to me through DHL COURIER DELIVERY SERVICES. Brother and Sister to cut the story short, that was how I connected with my cure  for three weeks I was totally well and strong by Dr Akhigbe. powerful natural herbal medicine.   You can also reach him for your help. He will help you because he is a good and easy doctor. Via email.  drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      Number +2348142454860.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone! my name is Noah, I'm writing this article to appreciate the good work of DR AKHIGBE that helped me recently to bring back my wife that left me for another man for the past 6 months. After seeing a comment of a woman on the internet testifying of how she was helped by DR AKHIGBE I also decided to contact him for help because all i wanted was for me to get my wife, happiness and to make sure that my child grows up with his mother 'I love my wife' Am happy today that he helped me and i can proudly say that my wife is now with me again and she is now in love with me like never before. Are you in need of any help in your relationship like getting back your man, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or loves and family relationship.  Viewers reading my post that needs the help of DR AKHIGBE should contact him via E-mail: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com You  can also call or contact him via whatsapp +2348142454860  He also cure deadly diseases and virus with his natural herbal medicine herbs.  like
    HIV/AIDS,  HERPES,  ASTHMA,  EPILEPSY,MENINGITIS,  NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,  STROKE,  PARKINSON DISEASE,  EXTERNAL INFECTION,  CANCER,  INFLUENZA,  DIABETES,  CHRONIC DISEASE,  HEPATITIS A&B AND OTHERS. his email again:  drrealakhigbe@gmail.com                number : +2348142454860          

    ReplyDelete
  5. This site is incredible! Having suffered from diabetes most of my life the information provided has really helped me come to terms with my condition and move forward with my life! I have even been using the new hulk remedy with has really improved my situation i highly recommend it! check it out here https://bit.ly/2PkqgXb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am so happy today because I am free from diabetes disease. I have been having diabetes since the past one years now, and I have passed through many different processes in getting cured from the diseases of diabetes but nothing was working out. Before I come across a comment about Dr Goodwin who sent me diabetes herbal remedy and my life get transformed
    and everything is fine and okay with me. Till now I have been going to check up and it is now going to four months and I am still
    negative...Thanks to Dr Goodwin i will never stop telling the world about your good work..Contact details email drgodwinsolutionhome@gmail.com or
    whatsApp him on +2348054615060

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy to inform the general public that I am finally cured from Herpes simplex virus recently with the use of herbal medicine, the powerful herbal medicine cured me completely and i was tested negative after usage, I am using this means to inform other's who have the virus that there is a cure for Herpes simplex 1&2 . It is absolutely true. I was cured by Dr Alli, only him I can recognize who cure Herpes perfectly well. I will advice you to contact this great doctor who God has send to put an end to the sorrowful and deadly disease. Contact him via Email  Allispellhelp1@gmail.com or add him on WhatsApp +2348100772528

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescription like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but brink back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless Dr.Isai for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2015 and I have been taking my medications, but wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my Body permanently, so i searched about some possible cure for HERPES and i saw a comment about Dr.Isai how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions. He started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS Delivery Service, I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 3 Weeks later I was cured from HERPES. Dr.Isai truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through his Email Address: drisaiherbalcenter@gmail.com or you can also reach him on phone or WhatsApp on his number:+2349034352176
    Dr.Isai Can as well cure the following disease:-
    HIV/AIDS
    LUPUS
    CANCER
    HEPATITIS B
    Fibroid
    ALS
    FLU
    HPV
    RHINOVIRUS
    EBV
    STD
    VAGINAL ODOR
    AS WELL AS MANY OTHERS
    Contact him today and get your problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the useful info. I appreciate your efforts for gatherin it. Also, here i want to share one thing.
    Recently i found a article that contains useful information about kidney disease and diabetes. They explained about what are the foods we need to avoid with our diet for diabetes control. So in thought of it might be useful to other, here i share that article about foods to avoid with kidney disease and diabetes .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was having Herpes Simplex Virus then i came across a review of people saying that they got treated from Herpes Simplex Virus by DR ISIKOLO, So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken by any deadly diseases like HERPES, HIV and other complicated diseases, shingles, low sperm count or bringing back your ex lover, this great man is extremely the best in which I have seen and applauds and if you also need a help, you can also email him via Email: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also WhatsApp him on +1(725)240-4536 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee.

    Hello everyone, I want to say a special thanks to Dr OGU. for helping me get cured from herpes virus 2019 , I contacted him base on the testimonies I saw about him on the internet I was diagnosed of HERPES Virus i have tried all I can to get cured but all to know avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HERPES virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try I was cured by his herbal medicine and natural herbs, kindly contact him today through his email: drogugusolutionhome@gmail.com or text/call: +1 (719) 629 0982

    He’s waiting to help you.


    HE ALSO SPECIALIZE IN THE FOLLOWING DISEASES;

    If you have any sickness like : H I V/AIDS , CANCER , HERPES HSV 1 or 2 , GENITAL WARTS, Yeast-infection's (HPV), and Hepatitis A, B. liver diseases , Diabetes, 1 or 2. Stroke, Chlamydia, Genital herpes, Alzheimer’s, Trichomoniasis , Tuberculosis, CAD, Gonorrhea, Epilepsy, and Syphilis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm 61 years old. I contracted HPV in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr voodoo herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr. voodoo he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr. voodoo make it possible for me. Here is Dr. voodoo email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348140120719 he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.

    ReplyDelete